Do we know the truth about truth?

THE QUEST FOR TRUTH
My first experiences with the quest for truth came at a very young age and not because I was looking for them.  It turns out that I often exaggerated my stories or actually described things that didn't actually happen. For example, I often spent weekends with my grandparents, and was able to use my father’s suitcase on one of these occasions. To my surprise, I found $40 in one of the pockets, and decided that this money was now mine.

Back at home, the ice cream truck was coming around the block, and flush with cash, I decided to buy treats for all of my friends and myself. When I went home and my parents asked me how I got the ice cream, I decided to protect my windfall by giving credit to my next door neighbor, John, a source of many great stories in my childhood.

My plan was working great, until a few hours later when John showed up with money to pay me back for the ice cream I had bought him.  Seems his parents didn't want him spending “my” money. Yikes.

At this point it became apparent there was going to be a search for the absolute truth.  My parents were obviously unhappy with the idea that I had not spoken truthfully about the source of the ice cream, but even more so with the possibility that I had come into money by dishonest means.  Lets face it. How many 8 year olds had $40 laying around in 1968?

In cross examination, I found myself finally confessing that I had found the money in the suitcase, and went upstairs to retrieve the remaining funds from under my dresser.  The court was more disappointed in the false testimony than in the loss of a few dollars to the ice cream truck. I was able to put real feelings to this disappointment once the belt came out and reinforced the lessons about telling the truth and not stealing from my parents.

Seems obvious what the absolute truth is in this story, right?  Or is it? After all, as a child visiting my grandparents I was using what I expected to be an empty suitcase.  Was it my fault that the money was “negligently” left in a pocket. Who cares if he used this suitcase every week and likely stored it there for repeat use.  I found the money, and therefore, in my child’s mind I discovered a buried treasure. We all know that when pirates find a treasure it is theirs, right? Also, it is not like I used the money for evil purposes.  There were many kids in my neighborhood who never got ice cream truck treats who celebrated that day. At worst, I was a Robin Hood, who took from the rich to treat the poor.

So did I steal and lie, or was I a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time?  

What in the world is going on here.  Did I just try to rationalize committing two illegal acts by trying to find hidden good in the outcome?  Yep. This is just a crazy example of what goes on daily in our world, where personal beliefs drive actions, and where different perspectives drive conflict.

Why should this matter to you?  

First, our beliefs are what guide our thoughts and behaviors.  They are critical in our decision making and our interaction with others.  Our beliefs are derived from our personal truths, which are the “facts” which make up our character.  

Second, if you don’t think about what you believe, then your personal truths are not defined and you are open to influences that may or may not lead you in a positive direction.

Third, if we are all driven by our beliefs and personal truths, it is possible for each of us to have totally different definitions of truth, which in turn create the possibility of conflict as each of us lives out our own version.  Our beliefs could set our perspectives on right and wrong totally opposite someone else, providing so many points of view that no one is right and actions based on personal truths create chaos in civil society. The ability to see your own beliefs as personal and not an obligation of all around you can create the possibility of discussion and possible agreement.

Fourth, there is the possibility that absolute truths exist.  For those of us who believe in a Creator God, we have been provided a document which is a compilation of stories, philosophies, biographies and letters which, if believed to contain truth, provides a possible source for absolute truth.  The challenge in absolute truth is that it crashes right into our personal truths party and doesn't allow for compromise. In a culture built on diversity, the issue of one right and one wrong are difficult to accept. This is particularly true in our culture, which is a combination of Bible believers, Bible questioners and those who consider it a work of fiction, from a time and place that does not apply to modern culture.

Comments

Popular Posts